Friday, August 20, 2010

White Cabbage sulfur

These cherries were so dark I had a challenge getting the red in highlights.

I think I could have used a warmer foreground. The painting is a little cool. Maybe it is the hot weather out that makes me yearn for cool paintings!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The finished painting:"Goeatweed Emporer"

The last step was to add the background color and highlights on the apples.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Block in objects for painting

This is the next step in the painting of this lovely Goatweed Emperor and green apples.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

First stage

This is the block in for a painting I did this week-end.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Background block

This is the carved block for the background of the print. The block will be inked with a gold water based relief ink. This is done first so that any overlap of the images will result in the black on top.

I started out using two different blocks, but now use one block with the bird on the "good" smooth side, and the background on the slightly textured side. This has saved on blocks piling up in my studio.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Block printing

This is the first block I carved for the print of a house wren. the negative spaces are taken out so that the ink just stays on the high parts.

Next I will show you the background block

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Pipvine on Trumpetvine"

This painting is about the light when it hit the little vase.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dogface and Grapes

I love this one. Finally one I like. I knew it when I finished it an hour short of what it usually takes. It didn't overwork it.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010


This butterfly was given to me by a friend who found him dead. It made me feed good to know I didn't have to kill a beautiful thing to paint it.

I enjoyed putting him with some new small tomatoes.